Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Insight into a boring, human life...

Generating empathy and really understanding consumers entails understanding what customers want, need, and really care about. A deep understanding of cares and motivations can help businesses effectively integrate solutions into these want and need areas. The following are exercises on understanding customers better - I used my own thoughts, needs, and feelings as examples.

When considering what matters the most to me, what I care about and absolutely wouldn't be able to live without, material possessions aren't high on the list. What pops up are the things that make life really worth living. Not that I couldn't live without purpose, motivation, human connection, conversation, love, inspiration, love, humor, and meaning.... I would just be the equivalent of a zombie or a mold spore. I would exist, just not really live. 


Yet, there are some things that I could live without, but would miss them terribly. Of course, I care deeply about my family and friends, being happy and having relationships. Reading and expanding my mind, growing as a person, traveling and exploring the world, being fit and healthy, and doing the things I enjoy (like seeing live rock music, playing my viola, and cooking) are also deeply embedded in how I feel, think, and operate as a person. These are how I connect with the world and share myself with others.

I also connect with others through the digital world. Not only to connect with friends, but also to gather information and news. Although the digital age has shaped the sources of information, I still primary trust traditional news brands sources for my local, national, and global news and access the Wall Street Journal online. The other primary digital source of information is just through Google. Anytime there is a question, concept, topic, or something I want to find more about, my first stop is usually to Google and connect through to other websites. Twitter and other social media sites, although secondary, are also an important source of latest information. I follow major news reporters, public figures, and top companies on twitter and enjoy seeing real-time updates and news.


Lastly, I access these sources for different reasons and topics at different parts of the day. There are peak times where I am accessing information, especially online. When I first wake up, when I am doing homework with colleagues, and as I am completing activities and getting ready for the next day, I access news and information online, mainly through web sources. The reason I access these sites and topics is to make decisions on what I wear, what I will do, where I need to go, and when. Reading for classes and to stay current on news is the next biggest focus area - I am constantly connected through Facebook and twitter on certain topics.


1 comment:

  1. Amanda - Thank you for all of the effort on this. Great job and fun to read - it would be great to have sit down with you and ask follow up questions now. :-)

    ReplyDelete