I used to think there were
only 2 types of people in this world: the creative, artsy, design people, and
the less creative, form-following people.
I tried desperately to fit in with the former, taking music lessons,
being a radio DJ, taking an art class, but never really felt like I was
up-to-par with my talented and genius colleagues. After reading several
articles, books, and listening to TED talks about how to be creative, I
uncovered a personal revelation; creativity isn’t just about talent in art or music,
it is an approach, a state-of-mind, and applies to a world beyond music in
business, relationships, and personal development. To be creative means to
think, create, or visualize something new into existence, whether it is a piece
of art, movie script, or new business solution. We all must think of new ideas
to be successful, thus we all must be creative in some shape or form. Every
individual can be creative and contribute to a creative process within an
organization.
Using this definitely of
creativity as developing something new, it seems to me that I am more creative
in certain areas than others and my level of creativity varies. I used to play
in orchestras and small ensembles regularly as a viola player, and the more I
played, the more creative about playing I became. I can recall instances at
work where I felt “on-fire” and was able to surprise myself with how many ideas
I was able to form around a particular problem. I can also recall several
instances where I felt stuck and no-matter what I did, I felt a lack of
inspiration and stalled for ideas. When identifying the differences between
these types of situations, I think there were several clear contributing
factors including my mood, where I am, how much sleep I have had, what I am
thinking about, how much I know about a subject, and who I am with. Looking
back, creative periods were periods where the following were in place:
Motivation.
In instances where I thought creatively about a problem, a personal situation,
or even abstract issues, I felt a sense of intrinsic motivation. This is due to
a desire to perform well at work, improve myself as a person, and other social
factors. Owning a personal interest in a subject or area in which I am trying
to think creatively generates additional motivation. Motivation corresponds to
the energy with which I tackle a particular thought exercise, and I think is
directly related to the quantity and quality of ideas.
Self-Reflection. Having time to reflect on ideas, think about a topic and allow my
brain to make connections with other ideas, instances, and previous experiences
helps to connect broader insights that lead to higher variety of ideas. If I
have no time to make these connections, my immediate ideas are anchored to the
current environment and situation and may not stretch any bounds. My brain
requires time to make leaps between ideas and connect ideas creatively.
Unplugging and disconnecting from cell phones and laptops is critical to
self-reflection time. Without these distractions, my brain is allowed to wander
and freely make these connections. Another distinction is purposeful versus
absent-minded self-reflection. Purposeful reflection comes when I deliberately
focus my thoughts on a particular problem and think through the situation. This
can be useful when thinking about a particular issue, but less-focused abstract
reflection is also productive. New creative ideas not tied to a particular
problem usually stem out of my abstract reflection time (riding my bike, yoga,
in the shower) and I find these ideas are usually ones that link different
experiences, times, and situations – proving my brain is making these leaps in
the background.
Freedom.
Freedom to make connections and generate ideas is important to the quantity and
quality of ideas I generate. Without certain idea constraints, pressure from
colleagues, family etc. or fear of judgment, ideas can come unfettered. Without
freedom, it is hard to make the connections discussed above and feel motivated.
While these factors need to
be in place for personal creativity, I think these also apply in organizational
settings. Teams need to have motivation in place to work together and independently
to generate ideas. Teams need time for self and team reflection. Teams also
need freedom to generate ideas without repercussions or judgment. In addition,
I think there is one more element that must be present in an organizational
setting:
Prompts.
Whether this is a process, a project statement, or customer insights +
problems, in order to generate ideas, teams need a prompt to begin the thought
process. The process and prompt forms can change based on situational needs,
but teams need inspiration, a few guidelines, as well as a goal to produce
ideas. This may sound generic, but this process will look different for
everyone. As a former consultant, I have seen how each situation necessitates a
tailored approach and is highly dependent on the team, individuals, company
culture, and the problem at hand. Specific examples include holding bi-weekly
brainstorming sessions, or allowing for 2 hours of unstructured time where
employees can work and think about whatever they think is important.
Lehrer’s article How
to Be Creative (WSJ March 9th, 2012) highlights similar thoughts
with recommendations to relax, drink alcohol, expand your activities, and how
individuals create those connections between events and thoughts. This all
supports the self-reflection and motivation aspects introduced earlier. I think
the processes highlighted are just a sample of how individuals and
organizations can approach being more creative. I also think that as one
practices and uses more of these processes over time, you will begin to
understand where certain processes and ideas are more effective than others. This
requires starting to use and try out these methods, and for new “creatives”
like me, this may require trial and error and testing different ideas how to
see what works. However, since creativity is embedded in every action,
individuals already have a basis and bias towards particular processes that
work better for them. My personal goal is so begin to integrate these practices
in daily habit, ideally becoming habitually creative.
Hi Amanda - great job with this post. I really enjoyed your approach to it.
ReplyDelete